It can be a daunting task to choose your family lawyer – after all, they will be handling the issues that are most important to you – your children and your property. You need to feel comfortable with the attorney who will be helping you through what can be the most trying time of your life.
These five considerations will help you find the family lawyer in OKC that’s the right fit for you:
1) Right experience
The Oklahoma law firm you choose should have considerable experience in handling cases similar to yours. Typically, a family lawyer with a fair amount of experience knows what to expect of the judges in your jurisdiction and can help you understand what your best options are.
2) Interview potential lawyers
When you first call or visit your lawyer, asking the following questions can help you finalize your decision:
- What type of client they typically represent?
- What is the fee structure?
- Who would assist in the case? Is it possible to meet the colleague or associate that would be involved?
- Do they have access to supporting resources such as finance experts, parenting coordinators, coach facilitators, and so on? If yes, what will be the cost of recruiting their services?
- What is the attorney’s trial record and history of success in court?
3) Right communication
Your communication with your family lawyer is vital. Being able to explain clearly to your lawyer and ensuring that your attorney is completely understanding your message and is carrying it out accurately and efficiently is vital. Also, your lawyer should be prompt in responding to your phone calls and emails. Learn the Oklahoma law firm office policy before you entrust them with your case.
4) What is the legal service that you need?
Ask your lawyer in OKC how your case will be handled. Does it involve litigation? Or, is it going to just involve the signing of a few documents? Your family lawyer should be able to explain precisely the different stages of your case proceedings. Educating yourself about all the facets of your case will help you make a wise choice while selecting your family lawyer.
5) Most important of all, are you comfortable with your lawyer?
Law is a personal service, so your compatibility with the lawyer will play a crucial role in your overall satisfaction and the success of your case. It’s essential that you feel comfortable with your lawyer as you will be discussing the most intimate facts of your life. Be sure that the lawyer is the one to whom you can talk, and listen, especially when the lawyer gives you advice that you may not like. It is best to trust your instinct.