How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit in Florida?

If you are seeking a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida, you may want to familiarize yourself with the relevant state law. Both personal injury cases are subject to different filing date standards. Known as the limitation period, these dates inform you how long you have to seek liability for the injuries.

It is necessary to act quickly if you feel that you have a valid claim. Then consult a Fort Myers personal injury attorney and know more about the statute of limitations.

  • Schedules for filing a lawsuit in Florida:

Like every other state, Florida has a book law that sets a cap on the amount of period you have to pursue a civil court lawsuit against an individual or company that might be legally responsible for your injury. This law is called the law of limitation. Under Florida’s Personal Injury Limitation Act, you have four years from the date of the incident to file a complaint in Florida civil courts. When you do not file your case within this time frame, the court will most likely refuse to hear it at all.

In certain circumstances, you might not be able to “discover” that you sustained harm until sometime after the accident that caused the injury, and in such cases, the Litigation Reporting period may be prolonged. Many exceptions may adjust the existing time limit, and if you lodge an accident lawsuit against the government (state or local) in Florida, you would need to comply with a different set of regulations that requires a shorter filing period. Speak to a lawyer for information.

It is important to remember that the limitation legislation we discussed here applies to most, though not all, of Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida cases. Like other states, Florida has a strict statute of limitations on claims over injuries caused by medical malpractice, over example. Know more about Florida’s personal injury rules. Fort more information call the Fort Lauderdale car accident attorney.

Personal injury cases are subject to more complex exclusion regulations.

  1. You have to lodge a complaint two years from the day the incident was reported, or at most four years from the date of the malpractice.
  2. If the medical practitioner has withheld the malpractice from you, you have to claim two years from the date of the discovery and seven years from the date of the malpractice.
  3. Kids are excluded from restriction if the case ends before the child turns.

If your are a victims of personal injury like accident call the Fort Myers car accident lawyer for help.

  • Florida’s Comparative Negligence Law:

The person you find responsible for the accident can try to hold you equally liable for any or all of your damages, depending on the type of incident. Florida uses the “pure comparative negligence law” to examine these scenarios. Under this provision, the amount of compensation that you will be entitled to receive as a result of an incident will be decreased on the basis of the relevant percentage of blame for the same incident.  If you also include in a negligence like funeral home so, you need to take help of a Florida funeral home negligence lawyer.

Therefore, if you were 20 percent to blame, the torturer would only be obliged to pay for the remaining 80 percent of the losses sustained.

Contribution between Tortfeasors: In Florida, where more than one person is liable for damages to another, both parties will contribute to the damages even though there is no judgment associated with each party. The defendant may claim the compensation of other torturers if he thinks that one of the torturers has charged more than his fair share of the liability.

  • Harm Limits in Personal Injury Cases:

The Florida Legislature has adopted certain forms of statutory restrictions to restrict the rehabilitation of an individual in certain types of cases. Such laws are aimed at restricting the recovery of ‘non-economic injury,’ which includes ‘pain and suffering.’ There is an significant limitation on punitive damages. Punitive harm is intended to penalize the wrongdoer for behaving in a way that is especially dangerous or reprehensible to the average person (i.e. driving drunk). Florida limits punitive damages to three times the amount of insurance, or $500,000, whichever is greater.

When you or a loved one have been injured and fall within the period given to report your case, please call West Palm Beach personal injury attorney. Your lawyer will help you from consultation to settlement, so that you can concentrate on healing, not litigation.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

three + one =