Thousands of people get injured or killed in bicycle accidents every year. A large percentage of these accidents take place in urban areas, probably due to heavy traffic, especially during the rush evening hours. Because most other vehicles are heavier, faster and bigger than bicycles, cyclists have the least protection and are more prone to collisions.
If you have been injured in such an accident, then the insurance company of your opponent is liable to compensate you for the loss. But if that does not happen, then you would need the right Portland bicycle accident lawyer to succeed.
Involved in a Bicycle Accident? Here’s What to do
If you are riding your bicycle and you suddenly meet an accident, here are the steps to follow:
- First of all, you need to be safe. Move to the side of the road away from other moving vehicles.
- Call the police or any other emergency medical service. The adrenaline rush after the accident may hide the injuries, and many may delay symptoms to occur. So, even if you are not injured seriously, it’s best to call these services.
- Don’t react with anger, and don’t apologize either. Apologizing will seem as if you are accepting your mistake and letting the other person go without taking any responsibility.
- Negotiate with the person involved in your accident, and exchange details like their name, license, contact number, insurance information, etc.
- If the person has already flown from the scene, try to note the vehicle model, color and license plate, and physical description of the driver. Report any damage or injury to the police.
- Tell your version of the event to the police officer and take your report number. You can get your police report using this number.
- Note down the names and phone numbers of witnesses present at the accident scene.
- Take videos and photographs of the accident scene, any damages, and your injuries.
- If your bicycle got damaged in the accident, leave it as it is and don’t try to clean or fix it.
- Note down the events of the accident, how it happened, how you reacted, what was other driver’s attitude, and what was the exact location of the accident.
- Even if don’t need hospitalization, visit a doctor after the accident and save all medical records and bills. These documents will serve as a backbone for your bicycle accident lawsuit.
- Keep listing all the losses you incurred due to the accident, including damages, injuries, medicines, lost wages, and physical and mental agony.
If you are ready with all these evidences, get in touch with a Portland bicycle accident lawyer who will review your case and let you know the possibilities. Do not meet the lawyer or insurance company of the other party before consulting your lawyer.
It’s important to hire a reputed and experienced bicycle accident lawyer and leave the legal aspects to them. They can represent your case in the court, negotiate with the insurance companies, and help you achieve a reasonable amount of compensation from the other party. So, leave the burden off to the lawyers and focus completely on recovering your injuries.